I love chicken. I love chicken in just about every way it can be cooked. I also love every part of the chicken: Dark meat, Liver, heart, whatever… hey. Judge me. Im not phased. The amount of fat soluble vitamins within the organ meats of animals is through the freakin’ roof! If you’re trying to reach optimal health, dig into some organ meats! You really cant go wrong.
A friend of mine actually makes raw beef liver smoothies and her kids LOVE it.. WHAT?! Yep, you read that right. I’m still learning how to make them without tasting too much like liver. Ummm… Holy S*** Caitlin, what is wrong with you?! Oh, come on, I know some of you are intrigued. If any crazy people out there (like me) are interested, stay tuned- I’ll have a recipe up and running in the near future.
Sorry for freaking you out, we’ll get back to the chicken.
Chicken is far and away the most common protein consumed worldwide. Did you know the average person consumes more than 50 pounds of chicken per year!? Yea, its kinda gross when you think about it that way… But, keep thinking about it that way for a second!
Chicken eats antibiotics, hormones, GMO feed, other chicken’s poop, their own poop.. and then… YOU eat that nasty chicken. Where’d all the junk go that chicken ate? Well of course it goes into that chickens’ tissues once its digested & assimilated, But then you ate it!! You digested all those antibiotics, GMO’s, hormone disrupting gremlins, you know. The whole SHABANG. Straight into the cells that build your tissues- the tissues that create your organs- the organs that make up your organ systems- the organ systems that cumulatively make up your very own human body.
Wowza.. Sounds a bit dramatic..
The FDA says eating sick, GMO-filled chickens isn’t bad for human health- in small doses. But didn’t we all learn in elementary school the definition of cumulative? “Including or adding together all of the things that came before”. Guess the FDA didn’t account for that one, let alone conduct any epidemiological studies before passing laws.. OOPS. Now thats dramatic.
I definitely don’t want to be that crazy opinionated food nazi, but I do want to be that friend who tells you the things you don’t want to hear.
I love you (yes, you!) and want you to live for a super duper long time, with optimal & vibrant health. Can buying healthy chickens that are properly raised from reputable farms be more expensive? Hell yeah! Is it totally worth it if you have the money to do so? Abso-freakin-loutely! Food Matters.
*FYI- This recipe doesn’t require a baking rack OR a roasting pan! Why? Because I don’t have either of those things, so we got a little inventive 😉
- 3-5lb Whole organic chicken
- 5 large carrots, cut into 3″ pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 whole head of garlic, cut in half
- 2 lemons, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- SPICE BLEND:
- 1tbsp rosemary
- 1tbsp thyme
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tbsp black pepepr
- Preheat oven to 375
- Take chicken out of package and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with half of a lemon and the whole head of garlic. Set aside.
- In a deep cast iron or roasting pan, add the carrots, onion, and crushed garlic in place of a roasting rack.
- Place garlic & lemon stuffed chicken (breast-side up) on top of the carrots/onion/garlic
- Hand squeeze the lemon juice from the remaining halves over top of the carrots/onion/garlic/chicken and leave the rinds in the pan around the chicken
- Evenly distribute the olive oil over top of the chicken, then rub the spice blend all over until fully covered. If any if left over, add it to the veggies underneath.
- Cook chicken for about 1.5-2 hours or until an internal temperature of 165 is reached