Skincare is funny because I feel like theres stages of worry associated with it.
For me, it went something like this:
- Stage 1- I’m a kid and don’t give a damn about skincare. All I know is I hate the feeling of sand mixed with sunscreen on my skin at the beach.
- Stage 2- I’m in middle/high school and people are starting to talk more and more about their acne and what products they use, but I never dealt with major acne problems so I feel out of the loop. I buy the stupid Clean + Clear Morning Burst face wash anyway because its “cool”.
- Stage 3: College/Post college- “hmm.. I’m in my twenties now, maybe I should start putting some intentional stuff on my face so I don’t look like I’m 80 when I’m 30′.
The stages after this I assumed looked something like, “OH SHIT WRINKLES ARE COMING” followed by extreme up-keep with fancy face creams every night + every morning, botox, and lots of other expensive microdermabrasion procedures or whatever the hell all those things are.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve always been the type of person that NEVER wanted to do crazy shit to my skin- ESPECIALLY my face. I’ve see some insane stuff on social media and other blogs (to each their own!) and it seriously scares me. Example: Vampire Facials + Profractional treatments. Just google them if you don’t know what they are. Terrifying stuff.
On another note, I started becoming more aware (and disgusted) of the toxins in skincare products when I was in college and decided to toss the “hip” face wash products and opt for good ol’ Dr. Bronners soap for my face + body. Coconut oil became my go-to for face + body lotion after showering, and that was about it. I only washed my face when I was in the shower- even as a student athlete– and always felt like washing your face EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and EVERY SINGLE MORNING was a bit overkill- so I never did it. I barely dealt with breakouts, but they’d happen here and there.
Fast forward to a month before my wedding this past June 2017- I was still using bronners + coconut oil but wanted to find something natural and simple that would make my skin G-L-O-W for our wedding day that was a bit more intentional. I had heard about a few skincare companies through people on Instagram, and fell in LOVE with Primally Pure Skincare Products. I decided to commit to using their Cleansing oil, Everything Spray, and Fancy Face Serum every night before our wedding day.. and DAMN did they make my skin glow! If you follow me on IG at all and watch my stories, you know what I’m talking about.
Primally Pure made my skin noticeably softer, smoother, and less blotchy within days. YES literally days! I never had to worry about a random breakout before my wedding because I knew my skin was going to be in tip top shape for the big day. How important is that to a bride?! There’s so many things to worry about on your wedding day (or any day, really) and your skin shouldn’t be one of them.
Primally Pure is amazing for any skin type because their products are made from REAL ingredients our skin was made to absorb and thrive on. Most of their ingredients also help to balance the PH levels of your skin, which ensures your face doesn’t get too oily or too dry. Remember when I said earlier I was terrified to wash my face every night and every morning when I was in college? I was worried because I didn’t want to ruin my skin by washing it too much and end up stripping it of its natural oils and ruining my PH levels. SO MANY skincare products and companies recommend washing + exfoliating vigorously on a daily basis, and this couldn’t be more detrimental to your skin’s microbiome!!! Not just because of how much you’re washing your face, but because of the harshness of the product AND the frequency combined.
Though I do 100% believe and KNOW real food + adequate hydration will determine the overall health of your skin, Primally Pure is an AMAZING company with clean products that compliment my approach to overall wellness. I am SO happy to have finally found my own skincare routine that works for me and is made with ingredients I can recognize, read easily, and eat if I had to. I never thought I’d look forward to washing my face every night, but now I get excited just thinking about it and I don’t have to worry about ruining my skin’s PH levels or harming my face in the long-term.
My nightly routine with Primally Pure:
- First, I apply a quarter size of their Cleansing Oil for Normal Skin on my face WITHOUT washing my face or doing anything to it prior. Then I use my fingers to rub the oil into my skin for about one full minute- sometimes longer because it feels SO GOOD! Then, I grab a wash cloth and run it under warm-hot water and wring out before placing on my face to let my pores open up to absorb the oil and push dirt out. After holding the washcloth over my face for 30-60 seconds until the wash cloth cools, I use the wash cloth to wipe the oil (and all the dirt and makeup it picks up) off of my face. I Continue this process until all the oil is wiped off my face.
- Second, I use their Everything Spray once my face is dry after oil cleansing. I use this spray to help further balance and tone my skin as well as calm any inflammation or irritation. It smells AMAZING!
- Lastly, I use a their Fancy Face Serum all over my face and neck before going to sleep to moisturize and hydrate my skin. I like to think of this face serum as a nice “gulp” of hydration for my skin- you’ll know what I mean when you use it!
Primally Pure has A TON of other products you’ll love – body butter, dry shampoo, deodorant, etc. This is just to say that you don’t need to follow exactly what I do- though it is a badass skincare regimen sure to leave you glowing and happy! Their customer service is on point, so don’t hesitate to shoot them an email asking questions about your specific skin type or personal long-term goals.
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for your support with What Cait Ate!