Back to the grind… Happy Monday folks!
Guys, I have some sad news.. I gave up coffee.. (for the 1000th time). I’m 100% positive coffee screws with my digestion, but I also think it makes me anxious, or at least magnifies my anxiety when I do experience it. I love the taste and extra perk in the mornings, so it’s been a struggle. RIP coffee.
Instead, I’ve been drinking Dandy blend lately! Dandy blend is an herbal blend of dandelion root, chicory, sugar beet, roasted barley and rye. Though it contains barley and rye, it is certified Gluten Free because of the extracting process! Pretty cool. Dandelion root itself is extremely beneficial in multiple ways:
- Promotes Digestion, stimulates metabolism, balances healthy gut microbiome
- Improves kidney and liver function by removing toxins and reestablishing electrolyte balance and hydration naturally
- Is an antioxidant! YAY anti-aging and free-radical prevention!
- Contains essential fatty acids and phytonutrients that reduce inflammation throughout the body
As you can see, Dandy Blend is the bees knees. It comes in powder form, and tastes delicious mixed into hot or cold almond milk/water. It is most commonly used as a coffee substitute because of its similar taste to coffee, but it doesn’t have the bitter bite at the end and harmful acidic nature that can wreck havoc on your tummy like coffee sometimes can.
I enjoy my Dandy blend mixed with hot water, a pinch of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in. mmmmm!! Try it out and see what you think.
Anyhow, I’ve got another breakfast recipe for ya! It’s similar in thought to my Chickpea & Veggie Bowl , but with a breakfast twist. When I say similar, I mean this recipe involves throwing a bunch of yummy fresh food goodness together and not overcomplicating the process. The variability of a breakfast scramble is infinite, so please play around with this recipe and add/take away/create anything you wish!
- 1 lb Breakfast sausage
- 2 Sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1.5 Cups brussels, cut in half
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a cast iron over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add in breakfast sausage. The sausage should sizzle upon placing it in the pan, that is how you know it is ready to go.
- While sausage is cooking, prepare a plate with paper towel on top to place sausage when finished cooking.
- When sausage is cooked throughout, set aside on the prepared paper towel plate.
- Pour a tablespoon or two of the sausage grease into a small dish to use later to cook the eggs in, leaving the rest of the grease in the pan.
- Add sweet potato, onion, brussels, and bell pepper to the left over sausage grease over medium-high heat. Toss in a few pinches of salt and pepper for added flavor.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until brussels are soft when a fork is placed into them.
- Add sausage back into the vegetable mixture and allow to cook for a few more minutes until the dish is hot throughout.
- While sausage is heating back up with the vegetables, grab a separate pan and add sausage grease (tablespoon set aside earlier in step 4) and cook your eggs however you wish (scrambled, fried, sunny side up, etc.)
- Plate your veggie + sausage mixture, top with eggs & avocado, throw on some hot sauce if you like that sorta thing, and enjoy!
Making these types of scrambles are a huge go-to for me for breakfast. I love enjoying big brunch-type breakfasts on the weekends for brunch after a hard workout, and always pair it with a Green Drink! mmm mmmm!