Two nights ago, an INSANE storm rolled through Northern Virginia and wiped out tons of trees and a few power lines along the way. Over 40,000 people lost power, my house included. I live in an awesome townhouse with 3 of my friends; likewise we lit candles and started sharing stories- typical girl reaction.
The power remained out for over 24 hours because of the fallen power lines, so when we woke up the next morning, Stu and I couldn’t make a breakfast scramble and enjoy coffee together like we usually do. Instead, we went to Wegmans and bought some GF cereal, bananas, coffee, and shared it all in the dining area with plastic spoons in soup-to-go cups. Not the healthiest or nutrient dense breakfast, but ya know, it happens. Funny looks and all, we enjoyed our makeshift breakfast together.
My usual breakfast (on days when the power isn’t out) starts with some eggs and veggies of some sort all mixed together in a breakfast scramble or frittata. But of course there are days when I’m in a huge hurry and I don’t have time to make a big breakfast, but I don’t want to skimp out on nutrient density. On these days, I like to make scrambled eggs to get some quality amino acids in my body to start the day, and also make a green drink to take with me wherever I’m going. Green drinks are a great way to load up on vital nutrients, raw food enzymes, and of course.. HYDRATION! I think we could all be drinking a lot more water on the regular- myself included.
So here we are, my recipe for a daily green drink. I change this up quite a bit depending on what I have in my fridge. I like to always have a base of greens, avocado, apple, lemon, ginger, and typically add turmeric, watercress, cilantro, sprouts, whole leaf stevia, and other superfoods to the mix. In summary- don’t be afraid to play around with the ingredients in your green drink! You will have some failures (I’ve had many!) and you will also have some absolute wins that you wish you wrote down the exact recipe for… which I always seem to forget to do. Except this time!
- 3 Big handfuls of organic spinach
- 2 Lemons with rind cut off
- 1/2 Organic fuji apple
- 1-2 inch Ginger root, skin cut off, cut into coin sized pieces
- 1-2 inch Tumeric root, skin cut off, cut into coin sized pieces
- 1/4 Ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp Unrefined organic coconut oil
- 2.5 Cups cold water or Coconut Water
- 5-10 drops of Organic Pure Stevia Extract for extra sweetener
- Herbs: Mint, Basil, Cilantro
- In a Vitamix/blender, layer ingredients with spinach first and all others on top- in no particular order
- Blend thoroughly until all ingredients are combined into a solid liquid and no “chunks” are visible.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment